VIDEO: David Tennant As Scrooge McDuck In The D23 Expo DuckTales Sneak Peek
Lucky attendees of the D23 Expo DuckTales panel tonight were treated to an exclusive first look at the much anticipated all-new Disney's DuckTales. David Tennant stars as Scrooge McDuck as the adventures of the swashbuckling billionaire and his young charges Huey, Dewey and Louie are relaunched for a new generation of fans.
Fortunately you too can enjoy the sneak peek courtesy of Mashable - see below:
The Q&A panel was attended by cast members Ben Schwartz, Kate Micucci, Beck Bennet, Toks Olagundoye writer and producer Frank Angones and art director Sean Jimenez, but opened with a filmed message from David Tennant.
David Tennant sent a special message to everyone at the #DuckTales panel! #D23Expo pic.twitter.com/HkdvK8xWw6— FANDOM (@getfandom) July 15, 2017
Here's a rundown of some of the points raised at the panel:
- The new DuckTales show has a modern art style and modern storytelling but otherwise it’s the same classic show
- Sean Jimenez says they went back to the original comics and to recreate the same look
- The new #DuckTales show will start with Huey, Dewey, and Louie not knowing they are related to Scrooge McDuck.
- DuckTales falls somewhere between Modern Family and Indiana Jones. Ultimately it is about family
- One episode will go back to the 1960s and explore Beakley and Scrooge's past.
- The creators say that beaks are really hard to draw
- DuckTales will reference the original cartoons. A couple of episodes will be reboots of favourites of the creative team
- When the DuckTales episodes take place in other countries, the creators went and found voice actors from those countries to be authentic
- The series will include Easter eggs and cameos referencing old Disney afternoon shows
- The creators have said they will look to DuckTales history for characters before they create new ones
- Huey, Louie and Dewey were born seconds apart and are no longer interchangeable.
- Ben Schwartz jokes that Dewey is now Jewish, like him
- The new Webby is a "total bad ass".
- Launchpad never thinks he’s done a bad job. Even when he crashes. It never even occurs to him
- Toks Olagundoye channels her Norwegian grandmother to play the very stoic Mrs. Beakley
- The creators wrote Gizmo Duck for Lin Manuel Miranda before they knew he would be cast. He is a cross between Peter Parker and Iron Man
- Jim Rash will voice Ludwig Von Drake in a 1960s flashback episode when he builds the Pogo Cane!
- The producers aren't telling if Darkwing Duck will appear in the series
- Duckworth will also be in the new series - in fact he's already appeared in promos and nobody has noticed!
DuckTales debuts on Disney XD with a one-hour special that will run for 24 consecutive hours beginning at 12am on Saturday 12th August. Th is will be followed by the full series premiere with two new episodes on Saturday23rd September. The series stars David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck, Danny Pudi as Huey, Ben Schwartz as Dewey, Bobby Moynihan as Louie, Kate Micucci as Webby Vanderquack, Beck Bennett as Launchpad McQuack and Toks Olagundoye as Mrs. Beakley.