David Tennant On Shooting The Doctor Who Special: "Working With Matt Proved To Be A Real Joy"



David Tennant has spoken to Entertainment Weekly about filming the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special alongside the current Doctor, Matt Smith.


“I suppose you’d expect me to say we’re new best friends and I love him like a brother,” he said. “But that is sort of how it was. I had a fantastic time and that wouldn’t necessarily have been the case. I’m coming back onto a show that’s effectively somebody else’s show and used to be mine and that’s potentially quite a weird situation to be in. Going back to something I knew so well and had such fun memories of might have backfired. It’s a quite rare set of circumstances: Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig don’t get to play James Bond next to each other. But actually it felt familiar enough that it was like coming home and working with Matt proved to be a real joy. I hope I’m speaking for him when I say we really enjoyed bouncing of each other and playing sort of two aspects of the same character. It was everything that I hoped it might be and nothing that I feared it could be.”

The 50th Anniversary episode was shot in London, Cardiff and other locations in South Wales in spring this year. David and Matt were joined on set by John Hurt, as a mysterious earlier incarnation of the Doctor, along with Jenna Coleman, Billie Piper, Jemma Redgrave, Joanna Page and Ingrid Oliver. The BBC have concerned that both the Daleks and the Zygons will be returning to challenge the various incarnations of the Doctor. Details of the plot and any other guest cast members have remained closely guarded secrets.

The 50th Anniversary episode will be broadcast worldwide on Saturday 23rd November. 






Comments