Happy 49th Anniversary Doctor Who - Matthew Graham On David Tennant's Doctor


Happy 49th Anniversary to Doctor Who! To celebrate this momentous occassion SFX have a rather brilliant article where eleven of the best Doctor Who writers chat about the eleven Doctors.. brill!
Fear Her writer Matthew Graham discusses David Tennant's Tenth Doctor below:


In recent returning drama, it is hard to think of an actor who has so perfectly, brilliantly become the embodiment of the spirit of the writer who penned him. David Tennant is not just the Doctor – he is Russell T Davies’s Doctor. He carries forward the passion, the elan, the sheer breath-taking cheekiness, the impish brio of the man who dug up the TARDIS, dusted her off and set her loose again.Hard to believe that when we first met him, the Tenth Doctor was mumbling in a council flat bedroom through the first half of “The Christmas Invasion”. Even when he dragged himself upright he was scatty, distant and difficult to like – as both Rose Tyler and we all felt. And then he saw a big fat red button squatting inside a Sycorax spacecraft and he gave what was to become a trademark Tennant-era speech. “My problem is when I see a big red button I just have to press it.” Or something along those lines. Point is – THAT’S the defining speech of Tennant’s Doctor. Naughty, rebellious, child-like but running on cosmic certainty and reverberating with the absolute authority of the Last of the Time Lords. That’s Russell. That’s the Tenth Doctor. They are one and the same.I fell in love with David’s Doctor at that precise moment. And I trusted him ever since. I believed in him the way I never even believed in the Doctors of my youth. Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker should have occupied that special place in my heart. But in the end it took this 40-year-old father of two completely by surprise that at the moment David thumped that big red button, he thought, “You are my Doctor.”

Comments

  1. Colin baker. No. Jon Pertwee, a big no. Sylvester McCoy, nahhh. Peter Davidson, nope. Even Matt Smith, no. And Peter Cushing, not really

    O liked the gruff William Hartnell but fell for Patrick Throughton who was awesome. Tom baker was great and Chris Eccleston was pretty good, except for that accent.
    Then came David MgGregor Tennant and W O W. What a brilliant actor. I have seen hin in other things because I was impressed, and still am, with his genius in acting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His name is McDonanld, not MgGregor. And he realy is brilliant. especially in Hamlet, Much ado, and of course as The Doctor. I loved Chris, and I enjoy Matt, but David would allways be my Doctor...

      Delete
  2. David Tennant gave me, a skeptic to DW because of nightmares the show gave me as a child, a reason to turn the show on. He encompassed the Doctor on so many levels. His range of emotion in his acting made it difficult not to love him. He's my Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because, Dr...... YOU are MY Dr.... That about sums it up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD END UP BEING A DOCTOR WHO FAN WHEN I WOULD PASS THE RE-RUNS BY ON TV AS A TEENAGER. DISCOVERING TORCHWOOD ON NETFLIX EVENTUALLY LED ME TO DOCTOR WHO ON DVD. THE FIRST SERIES WAS REALLY GOOD BUT WHEN HE REGENERATED AND BECAME DAVID TENNANT....THE LOVE STORY BEGAN...NOT ONLY WITH ROSE BUT WITH ME AS A DW AND DT FAN!!! THE PERFECTION ACHEIVED IN SERIES 2-4 WILL NEVER BE MATCHED AS IT WAS A MAGICAL BLEND OF CAST, CHARACTERS, WRITING AND PRODUCTION. WHEN I HEARD THE NEWS THAT HE WAS BEING REGENERATED AGAIN I KNEW I WOULD BE GOING THROUGH ENORMOUS WITHDRAWAL AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED! I NURSE MYSELF THROUGH THESE ON-GOING SYMTOMS BY WATCHING DAVID IN EVERYTHING HE DOES AND REVISITING THE 10TH DOCTOR OFTEN!
    THANK YOU RUSSELL T. AND ALL THOSE INVOLVED IN THIS ENDURING CLASSIC!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment